Monday, July 14, 2008

real first post

I made this blog a long time ago and never wrote on it. Well, I decided I'd put it to good use and write about music on here, every entry including a download to a band I believe is worth listening to.


It's fucking late, I can't sleep. I got a few shows coming up though that I am rather excited for. Go check out my newer band at www.myspace.com/fuckwolves

As for Meursault, we just played a show a few days ago, at the Cafe Panama Fest in Fulda.

Zann was loud and intense as fuck, as expected. They were the first band I ever saw live, and this time I was a little disappointed. Rob's vocals kept getting cut out by the shitty P.A. which hurt my ears. Essentially though, if you're going to see Zann, expect your ears to be hurting. None the less, they were intense, noisy, and great fun to see live.




What really suprised me however, was Amalthea and Only For the Sake of Aching. They were toring together I believe, Amalthea being from Sweden and OFTSOA being German. Both bands were amazing live, I dug them so much I bought their 7" split.

Amalthea is athmospheric and melodic screamo with a lot of 3/4 time signatures for some reason. The guitarist/singer used a lot of effects pedals to achieve that violin/guitar sound that a lot of post-rock bands use. This contrasted with heavier parts with screamed and clean vocals, but the band's newer direction seems to concentrate more on the instrumental side. Very beautiful. Simon, their guitar player, let me use his capo because I lost mine. Great, nice guys.






OFTSOA is a band I was already somewhat familier with, but really blew me away. It was a shame they had to play so late most people left. They're a straight-up modern Euro-skram band, but they really stuck out to me, at least live. They kept the clean breaks to a minimum, and focused on contrasting chaotic blast beat sections and melodic, yet-still-heavy medium tempo parts. They were tight as hell, even during the faster sections. The great drumming caught my attention as well. Nice guys, tight live, check them out as well.






Todays featured record is The Saddest Landscape's "A Promise Was Made."

TSL is an American hardcore band with the sound and feel of mid 90s emo with the some parts resembeling later screamo bands. The vocals are painfully urgent and dire, the singers heart on his sleeve. Guitar and bass aren't the standard modern screamo afair either; The instrumentation is interesting and melodic at all times, but never too show-offy. The drumming is some of the best I've heard in the emo genre, with tasteful flourishes and rolls through out. I believe TSLs drummer is the same drummer of Her Breath On Glass, another band to check out consisting of just guitar, drums, and vocals.

Overall, A Promise Was Made is one of my favorites of this style. It's only 4 songs, but each beautiful and meaningful in their own right. I love this record, and I hope you will too.

Download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?x9u2jxitm3e




No comments: